40 hours per week, Monday to Friday

Apprentice Bachelor of Science in Polymer Processing Technology 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday

Job description

We are seeking a motivated individual to join our team as a First Year Apprentice - Bachelor of Science in Polymer Processing Technology. As a Polymer Processing Apprentice, you will embark on a journey to learn and master the intricacies of polymer processing within our organization. This apprenticeship provides a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a dynamic industry while working alongside experienced colleagues. You will be immersed in various aspects of polymer processing, from understanding raw materials to operating and troubleshooting processing equipment. This role offers a structured learning environment with ample opportunities for training and development.

This is a 3-year apprenticeship program with Weener Plastics. 70% of the time is spent on the job and the remaining 30% is spent training at Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT).


  • Learn Polymer Fundamentals: Acquire a solid understanding of polymer science, including polymer chemistry, structure-property relationships, and processing techniques.
  • Operate Processing Equipment: Assist in the operation of polymer processing machinery such as extruders and injection moulding machines under the supervision of experienced technicians.
  • Quality Control: Participate in quality control activities to ensure products meet specified standards. Learn how to conduct quality inspections and troubleshoot processing issues to maintain product consistency.
  • Material Handling: Gain proficiency in handling raw materials, including resin pellets, additives, and colorants. Learn proper storage techniques and material handling procedures to prevent contamination and ensure product integrity.
  • Safety and Compliance: Adhere to safety protocols and regulatory requirements at all times. Learn about hazardous materials handling, personal protective equipment (PPE) usage, and emergency response procedures to maintain a safe working environment.
  • Documentation and Reporting: Assist in documenting processing parameters, production logs, and quality control data. Learn how to generate reports and communicate findings effectively to supervisors and team members.
  • Continuous Improvement: Participate in process optimization initiatives to improve efficiency, reduce waste, and enhance product quality. Contribute ideas for innovation and process enhancements based on your observations and learnings.
  • Training and Development: Engage in ongoing training sessions and educational opportunities to expand your knowledge of polymer processing technologies and industry best practices. Take advantage of mentorship opportunities provided by experienced professionals within the organization.

Profile of the candidate

  • Strong interest in polymer science and manufacturing processes.
  • Basic understanding of mathematics and science principles.
  • Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
  • Ability to follow instructions and work well in a team environment.
  • Good communication skills and willingness to learn.
  • Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and tasks.
  • Excellent communication skills and a positive attitude.
  • You can find more information via this link: https://content.apprenticeship.ie/f/83224/x/ba1b799557/polymer-technology-apprenticeship-brochure-nov-23.pdf


Please send your application and/or C.V. to:

HR Department WP Ireland
Mrs. Aisling O'Keeffe - HR Manager
E-mail: hr.ie@wppg.com

About Weener Plastics Ireland

Weener Plastics is a strong, competent and reliable full service global supplier of innovative plastic packaging solutions. Our facility in Dromcollogher, in the west of County Limerick, is an expert in the manufacturing of roll-on packaging for personal care applications. The facility serves global and local brands as well as Private Labels. Are you the right person to join our highly qualified and experienced team?


16 Feb 2024